Monday, December 29, 2014

A New Step-by-Step Tutorial for 2015

Well,  we're  not  quite  there  yet,  but  only  a  couple  of  more  days  till  2015--so  an  early  Happy  New  Year  everyone!   And  I  thought  of  starting  the  new  year  off  with  a  small  tutorial.    First--the  finished  piece--


But  let  me  back  up,  and  show  you  how  I  started.   I  began  by  getting out  my  paints  and  art  tools  and  warming  up  by  painting  papers  on  heavy  card stock  paper  (110lb  paper  that  I  get  at  Staples  office  supply  store)--


there's  actually  a  lot  more  where  these  came  from,  but  these  are  the  ones  that  I  chose  for  my  'palette'.    As  far  as  the  techniques  I  used  for  these  papers--there  are  endless  step-by-step  tutorials  on  you tube--if  you  put  in  a  search  for  art  journal  backgrounds--you'll  find  them.   I  also  have  tutorials  on  painting  papers  on  my  blog  here-under  the  tab  "Tutorials".   A  lot  of  my  favorite  little  tricks  are  ones  that  I  discover  by  just  fooling  around  or  by  accident--the  happy  accident.   And  I  also  want  to  add  my  Gelli  Plate--my  new  friend!   This  is  what  I  do  to  get  me  warmed  up,  and  what  I  really  enjoy  doing,  but  there's  no  reason  why  you  can't  use  scrapbook  papers--or  any  decorative  papers  that  you  may  have.

I  worked  on  a  6 x 12  wood  cradleboard  with  deep  sides,  which  I  decopauged  with  book  pages--


I  like  working  on  the  wood  surfaces,  because  they're  easy  to  stamp  on  and  adhere  papers  to   as  opposed  to  the  wrapped  canvases,  and  I  wasn't  sure  at  the  time  what  I  was  planning  on  doing--but  again,  this  is  whatever  your  preference  is.

Next,  for  my  background--

I  got  out  my  inktense  blocks--these  are  great--a  very  intense  watercolor  stick,  but  I  used  gesso  (any  gesso,  it  doesn't  matter)  instead  of  water--I  like  the  effect  that  you  get  when  you  use  the  gesso.    Also  a  little  acrylic  ink  here  and  there--this  was  the  first  layer.

Next  layer--


I  added  a  bit  more  acrylic  paint  here  and  there  and  some  tim  holtz  tissue  paper  on  the  bottom  with  added  color.   There's  no  right  or  wrong--I  could  have  kept  going  with  the  layers.

So  someone  on  my  Facebook  page  requested  a  cat  piece--and  that's  where  the  cat  idea  came  from.  First  thing  I  did  was  make  my  'template'--



And  then  I  cut  up  the  blocked-out  segments  of  the  cat   and  numbered  them--making  it  much  easier  to  cut  out  the  same  pieces  with  my  paper--

...kind  of  like  a  puzzle   :-)

So  next--assembling  this  'puzzle'  on  my  cradle  board--


my  kitty  with  some  daisies  I  just  use  regular  gel  medium  to  adhere  all  of  these  pieces.

next  step--the  fun  part--



bringing  everything  to  life.....I  wanted  to  define  the  different  papers,  so  I  used  my  new  Fude  Ball  pen.  I  recently  discovered  this  pen--nice  dark  black,  writes  over  basically  anything,  and  permanent  when  dry.  I  also  used  some  acrylic  paint  to  shade  the  sides  of  the  papers.   This  is  also  the  time  when  the  organic  process  starts--no  plan  in  mind--I  just  listen  to  my  muse.   I  added  the  scrolls  with  the  pen,  the  butterfly  and  the  Imagine  stamp.

The  finishing  touches--


some  brads  for  the  flower  centers,  and.....


don't  forget  the  sides---I  used  a  small  flower  stamp.  And  then  I  coated  it  with  coats  of  gloss  varnish--the gloss  gives  it  that  mosaic/stained  glass  look  that  I  really  like.

If you have any questions about this project or to see lots more of my current art, please visit and like my Facebook Art page HERE 
That's the best way to reach me
I have new artwork on there where I post most every day, and if you see anything that you would be interested in let me know!

44 comments:

Unknown said...

thank you so much! i will definitely be doing this.

Clare Lloyd said...

Fab project. Like the idea of mixing inktense blocks with gesso. Must try that myself!

Jacklyn Young said...

This is gorgeous - what a wonderful idea! Thank you so much for sharing your process!!

Carol Rigby said...

Thankyou for the tutorial.I love the way you assembled the pieces for the cat. A.great idea.

Createology said...

Thank you very much for sharing your techniques. Your kitty collage is simply gorgeous. Creative Bliss...

Mary C. Nasser said...

Oh my gosh! This is so gorgeous!!
Thank you for sharing your process in this tutorial! Very inspiring! :)

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

Juls said...

I'm always so inspired by work, it was lovely to see a project fro start to finish :-) xx

Melva said...

What a great tutorial. Thank you.

rose s. said...

this is so beautiful - thank you for posting the tutorial. i will definitely be trying this. happy new year.

Unknown said...

This is fabulous! Thank you for sharing how to do this. Makes me feel, well maybe I can!

espenavarro said...

Beautiful. Happy new year from Spain!

Genevieve said...

I'm just now planning to do some sort of a mosaic with Gelli prints. I love your finished collage. Thank you for sharing your techniques! I too am intrigued by the idea of mixing Inktense and Gesso.

Susanna said...

So beautiful cat! I love it! I think I want to test that style also someday!

Beansieleigh said...

Looks like fun. Thanks for the tutorial, and a very Happy New Year to you!! ~tina

Unknown said...

thank you for explanation!!!

Caroline said...

Oh My, this is absolutely delightful! I have a passion for pussycats too so it immediately appealed. Your methods for the background and particularly the paper piecing are brilliant (clever idea to number the pieces). A gorgeous array of colours as well. I cannot draw to save my life but perhaps could find a picture or something else.
Must get me some inktense this year, been on my "wish list" for sometime. Thank you for showing us your step by step, such wonderful artwork! Thank you also to Marta Lapkowska (Maremi SmallArt) for introducing me to your world! :)

Stacy's Paper Crafts said...

Fantastic tutorial, thanks so much for sharing! I LOVE your kitty, so cute :)

froebelsternchen said...

Thank you for sharing your process with us.. what a lovely piece of art! Adorable!
Have to look if I get this blck pen here ... thank you for the tip!
xoxoxo
Happy New Year
FROEBELSTERNCHEN
Susi

Frk. Bogstad said...

This is a very great tutorial on how you do it :D
I like it. I more than like it ;)
Thank you :)

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot for the tutorial!I love your Art pieces!!!

After watching your tutorial, I tried out this technique...
http://craftconcoction.blogspot.com/2015/01/blogart-planner.html

ArtZest said...

I was looking for something different and fun to do today. This was the perfect inspiration. Thank you!

Christine said...

Absolutely love this (found it on Pinterest). It is beautiful.

Gerrittina said...

I just love it!!

Unknown said...

Lovely and will be done on this end. I love the Internet because I missed out on so many art classes at school, this gets me all excited to have fun again! Thank you so much for sharing!

TheCraftsWorld said...

Lovely project! excellent result!

Bossadri said...

So adorable!!! thanks a lot. Hugs from Belgium

Bossadri said...

So adorable!!! thanks a lot. Hugs from Belgium

HuskerGirl said...

Diane,
I really love your tutorial and whimsy cat, it is so beautiful.

I would like to create something similar but with my dog who is a black and white miniature Schnauzer. Not sure how I would go about this as I am definitely not an ARTIST.
Have you done any drawings or templates of a schnauzer?

Barbara

Nathanial Thorton said...

Your collage artwork turned out really well! It’s gorgeous and original, and I’m sure your cat-loving and art-enthusiasts etsy buyers will love it too. Thanks for the tutorial, Diane! Good luck to you and to your business! :-)

Nathanial Thorton @ VDB Ventures

Art Expression said...

Very nice...love it

Unknown said...

Great artwork Diane!! I'm sure my closed FB group, Barefoot Journaling Chronicles, would agree when they see my re-post. I just love it!!

If you'd like to join my group, please give me a holler...would love to welcome you in. We love all kinds of art...also with words. Would love to showcase you.

Blessings,

~Evon Robinson

Unknown said...

I'm not fond of cats in general (have an allergy for starters!) but I love this image and the way you have made the piece. S/he looks very sassy in the vibrant, fun colors and all the patterns. Nicely done.

Unknown said...

Excellent tutorial! I must ask your permission to publish a photo of the collage I made in cookie. Everything is edible. I made it as a present for a friend. Please email me at: aruizdnd@gmail.com to send you a picture. Thanks@

Unknown said...

Excellent tutorial! I must ask your permission to publish a photo of the collage I made in cookie. Everything is edible. I made it as a present for a friend. Please email me at: aruizdnd@gmail.com to send you a picture. Thanks@

Sandra Foster said...

I really like the tip you shared about the inktense and gesso instead of water .... thanks so much. This all is lovely.

Helen said...

May I please use your cat on a Quilt? Not to sell......maybe to exhibit. I love his shapes...he is inspiring.

Anonymous said...

SO nice. I gonna try this in Denmark with my 4. grade. Thank you for the total guide :0)
Pia

Denise Fletcher said...

Beautiful work!

Unknown said...

This is fantastic, I'm going to try this. Thank you !!!:😊

everawiz said...

Love it .. Love your site!

Amena Merchant said...

I like the puzzle pieces of the cat. One could also applique them.
Thank you.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. Love it😊

Anonymous said...

Could this be accomplished on a glass frame?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails