Friday, February 26, 2010

A Couple Of WIP'S And A New Installment Of Fattening Fridays

It's been VERY boring around here this week--I mean there is nothing going on, and hey, guess what?-- it snowed last night !  : D  alot, so there's something for you.  So  I decided  to show you a couple of WIPs--I really do like saying that!

This box started out like this--

An old recipe box that  I found at a garage sale--it surely wasn't mine.  I have no need for these things.  And then the next is an 8 x 18 wrapped canvas--


As you can see, I have a heart theme going on.  They look like Valentine pieces, which wasn't my intent.  I just wanted to work with the three colors, and it just turned out being the hearts--but looking at it now, I know that I'm going to change these up a bit. You get a better perspective when you look at it in a photo as opposed to just looking at it in person--we'll see how they turn out.  I'll post them when they're finished.

And I decided to show you another meal that I had this week after Bobbi told me she was a little disappointed that I didn't show any food last Friday.  So this time, I decided to post the recipe too !!


This is creamy potato soup-yum!  I got this recipe from my daughter that she got  from her cooking class in high school. Like I said, I'm not really a cook, but I think most cream soups start out with the cream base, called a rue--but correct me if  I'm wrong.  This one doesn't, but it turns out every time.  I always adjust the recipe to make more, but here's the basic recipe

                                                         6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
                                                         2 carrots, sliced
                                                         2 celery ribs, sliced
                                                         1 medium onion,diced
                                                         1 Tbsp. parsley, chopped or dried parsley
                                                          5 cups water
                                                          4 chicken boullion cubes
                                                          13 oz. can evaporated milk
                                                          1/4 cup butter or margarine
                                                          1/2  cup milk
                                                          3 Tbsp. flour
                                                          salt and pepper to taste
1) Combine ingredients--potatoes through bouillion cubes--cook over medium heat for 40 minutes covered or until potatoes are cooked.
2) Add evaporated milk and butter, and simmer for 20 minutes on low.
3)J Combine the 1/2 cup milk and flour and add to soup to thicken.  I usually have to add more of this--just make sure you mix the milk and flour well before you add to the soup slowly. 
And then just season to taste, and let stay on the  stove for a couple of hours to get the flavor in.
I topped it with green onions, cheddar, and bacon pieces--very good.

Did I mention that I have a slight problem with my cholesterol?  Every year, I tell the doctor--I don't understand--I really don't eat bad things.  I mean look at this meal, for example--you have fresh potatoes, carrots, celery, real butter, cheddar cheese, and real bacon that I fried up myself till it was nice and crispy--so what's the problem? : )

                                                         
                                             

19 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm laughing so hard right now, I can hardly type. I love that you brought the Fattening Friday back. I also really love the heart box. Layers and layers and layers, gotta love it.

We were supposed to get snow, but the ground sure looked brown to me when I woke this morning. In a way, I'm glad it missed us.

joanna said...

Diane, love your box!! and your low cholesterol soup!! yum yum!!
xoxox

Janet Ghio said...

I love "fattening fridays! That soup looks good to me--can't imagine it would have anything to do with your cholesterol level!! Like the WIP's!!

Janet said...

I love your comment to your doctor!! That gave me a good chuckle this morning.

Your WIPs are already beautiful so can't wait to see them finished.

studio pashnada said...

when is your art show? I'm excited to know how you do/did
this box is really cute

Annette Q said...

I love your fattening fridays idea! lol.
yep, I can relate, fridays I tend to let myself go and relax and spoil myself by eating WHATEVER I like. Its nice to do it every now and again! :-)
Your box and canvas are really lovely, I love the colour combination. Nice work :-)

WrightStuff said...

I think I prefer the box before you touched it... Ha! only joking. Coming along great my friend - it has a real 'Diane' touch to it.
Nothing wrong with hearts any time of the year!

Martha Lever said...

you are just so funny--really--I am GOL-giggling out loud. I don't usually LOL but I do GOL. I love this darling box also after is transformation. I love red, white and black. It always works.
Have a great weekend!

Buffy said...

Hi Diane,love what you started. I like those colors together too.Kind of reminds me of playing cards,maybe the queen of hearts. Can't wait to see them when they are finished. Have a great weekend,my mothers down for a visit so not much blogging for me!

Anonymous said...

What a great way to reuse an old recipe box! I am a huge fan of potato soup. Too bad you can't take out the calories and cholesterol :)

Deb Harvey said...

WOW! I love your heart art! Very creative and beautiful!

I will have to try your potato soup, it looks so good! I hadn't thought about putting green onions on top...love them!

I really enjoyed your last post, too! Great as always!

Celestial Charms said...

The box looks fantastic. I love a black, white, and red color combo.
I'm really in the mood for soup and some fresh bread, after seeing your recipe. Thanks for sharing.
Have a lovely weekend.
Maureen

Unknown said...

Hi Diane!!! your new works are wonderful....you are so creative and clever!!! and that soup looks wonderful....I make a version of that soup too...and it is divine!!! I am going to make lunch now!!!

wandamarie.blogspot.com said...

thanks, diane, looking forward to maybe having my husband frame the ta da series to go with the paintings.
loved the pic of your meal...i am going to make that tonight, it sounds so good. and love your black and whites!

Unknown said...

Looove the boxes I too have been working on some boxes, I'll post them soon. I am so happy you posted the potato soup, it's my favorite and I have never been able to get it right, I have to try it, I'll let you know how it turned out!

Terri Kahrs said...

Oh, Diane!!! You're tooo funny!!!! You know you're an artist when you 1) Use your oven for polymer clay 2) Use wax paper and parchment paper for mixed media substrates and 3) use recipe boxes to make fabulous cache boxes!!!! You GO, Girl! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Marlynn said...

Hi, sweetie, at some point send me your email. Mine is on my blog. Love your box. I am going to do more on the beeswax on the blog today. I am getting hooked on it. Originally, I liked it but I can turn stuff out so quick.... and you can find the stuff at Michaels. Stay tuned. Looking at your box... some people yesterday were beeswaxing boxes with images. Too cool. BUT your art is always too cool, and I mean that! I love your art work. hugs,

Marlynn said...

PS - I have to try your potato soup. Looks a lot better than the new recipe I tried last week. Ugh... wasn't that good and it is very hard to mess up potato soup. M

phoebe said...

The soup looks delicious! And I know I've seen many a recipe box just like the one you altered at various yard sales--what a difference now! It's very cute.

I've really enjoyed checking out your blog today. =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails